Full Practice: 2020 (Hong Kong)
- Bachelor of Arts (English Literature), CUHK (First Class Honors)
- Juris Doctor, CUHK (JD Scholarship for Academic Merit)
- PCLL, CUHK (Distinguished Scholarship Place)
Scholarships and Awards
- Hong Kong Bar Association Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship
- PCLL Distinguished Scholarship Place
- JD Scholarship for Academic Merit
- CUHK Kunkle and Pommerenke Grand Scholarships: Full-Tuition Scholarship Award
- CUHK Chung Chi Departmental Prize (Honorary Title): Awarded to the best final year students
- CUHK Chung Chi College Class Scholarship (Honorary Title): Awarded to students with the best academic record in each class
- Dean’s List
Conan joined Chambers in 2020 after having served pupillage with Mr. Derek Chan SC, Ms. Yvonne Fong, Mr. Isaac Chan, and Mr. Joseph Lee.
Conan regularly appears in Court, both as a sole advocate and a led junior, and has appeared in all levels of courts from the Magistrate’s Court to the Court of Final Appeal.
On the criminal side, Conan has worked on areas such as market misconduct, conspiracy to defraud, bribery, money laundering, immigration offences, road traffic offences, drugs-related offences, gross negligence manslaughter, indecent assault, etc.
On the civil side, Conan has worked on areas such as contract, companies, commercial, trust, insolvency, competition, land, enforcement of arbitration awards, as well as other general civil matters.
During his JD studies, Conan was among the top in 11 law subjects including Contract Law, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Legal Research, Analysis and Writing, Equity and Trusts, Company Law, Constitutional Law, and Administrative Law.
Conan was a Judge’s Marshal in the High Court (both criminal and civil courts), District Court (criminal courts), and Magistrate’s Court. He has been a member of the Hong Kong Schools Mooting and Mock Trial Association since 2018 where he offered advocacy training to secondary school students. Conan was invited to sit as a presiding judge in various local Mock Trial competitions. He also participated in various mooting competitions and was highly regarded by the judges.
Conan was previously a junior reporter and freelance columnist for the South China Morning Post, and he was once awarded the title of Best Speaker in the SCMP NESTA Debating Competition.
Conan is developing a broad practice, and is receiving instructions from both criminal and civil side. He is fluent in English, Cantonese, and Putonghua. He is also capable of providing written submissions and conducting hearings in both English and Chinese.
- Research Assistant, Hong Kong Archbold 2019 (Chapter on mens rea)
- Research Assistant, Halsbury’s Laws of Hong Kong: Contract (vol. 18)
- Research Assistant, Ho & Hall’s Hong Kong Contract Law, 4th Ed (2017) and 5th Ed (2019)
- Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Ordinance (Cap 623): Reforming the rigid common law doctrine of privity, The Hong Kong Student Law Gazette: Fall 2017 Issue
- The MWB Decision: Bringing the Contract Law of Part-Payment into New Territory, The Hong Kong Student Law Gazette: Spring 2018 Issue
Selected cases (Criminal)
– Appeal against conviction of offences under Cap.279 Education Ordinance on grounds that the provisions are unconstitutional (drafting pleadings, appearing in court for client)
– Conspiracy to defraud (advise client, appearing in court for client)
– Conspiracy to defraud (trial- appearing in court for client in an 8-day trial, client was eventually acquitted)
– Employing persons who are not lawfully employable (advise client, appearing in court for client)
– Employing persons who are not lawfully employable (trial- appearing in court for client)
– Making false declaration (advise client)
– Making false instrument (advise client)
– Money laundering involving proceeds of more than HKD 100 million (advise client, appearing in court for client)
– Money laundering involving proceeds of more than HKD 1 million (advise client, appearing in court for client)
– Obtaining access to computer with criminal intent (trial- appearing in court for client in a 7-day trial, client was acquitted with costs awarded to him)
– Outraging public decency (trial- appearing in court for client)
– Providing false information which the person knows or ought to know is false in the material particular (advise client, appearing in court for client)
– Unlawful assembly (advise client, appearing in court for client)
Selected cases (Civil)
– Admiralty action in relation to collision of vessels (drafting pleadings)
– Contract claim of over HKD 3 million for defective and unmerchantable goods (drafting pleadings)
– Contract claim of around HKD 200k over late delivery of goods (drafting pleadings)
– Debt claim of HKD 1.8 million over default of loan (drafting pleadings)
– Disciplinary proceedings over a professional (advise client)
– Enforcement of arbitral awards of around HKD 15 million (drafting pleadings)
– Land dispute over the beneficial ownership of a residential property (advise on the applicability of Partition Ordinance and drafting pleadings)
– Matrimonial proceedings in relation to variation of access to children and maintenance pending suit (drafting pleadings, appearing in court for client)
– Personal injury: nasal injury, ankle injury and PTSD as a result of traffic accident (legal advice on liability and quantum)
– Personal injury: whiplash injury as a result of traffic accident (legal advice on quantum)
– Probate action in relation to a residential property (advise client)